You can bulk import a CSV, XLS, or XLSX file of users using the import feature in the People menu.
Before you start
Before you import, complete the following steps:
- Create a .CSV / .XLS / .XLSX file or a Google Sheets document.
- Add a column heading to the first row that includes the mandatory fields required to create or update a people record in each column. The mandatory fields will depend on how you have customized your Oomnitza instance. However, at the minimum, it should include the persons First Name, Last Name, Username, Email Address and Role.
- Insert a row for every record and populate the values under the column heading.
Importing the data
Once the data is populated in your spreadsheet, complete the following steps:
- Navigate to People on the main navigation bar.
- Click Import. You have the option to upload your file manually, or import your file from Google Sheets by specifying the URL.
- Select your import preference:
- Create. Creates new records. Existing records identified in the spreadsheet are ignored.
- Update. Updates existing records. New records identified in the spreadsheet are ignored.
- Update and Create. Updates existing records and creates new records.
- Under the Advanced section you can:
- Restore archived records. Restores archived people records identified on import.
- Change a Time zone (UTC offset) and Location. This information is used by the Import Manager to display the correct date and time of the start and completion of the import run for all users.
- Add Tags to your import to find it quicker in the Import Manager later.
- Choose to receive an email notification about the completion of the import run.
- Click Continue.
Configuring the mapping
- Define the mapping fields. You have the option to chose one or a combination of the following:
- Smart Mapping: Click Smart Mapping in the upper right to automatically detect the appropriate mapped fields.
- Manual Mapping: Select the down arrow next to the field you want to map and select the target field in the dropdown list to manually map fields.
- Mapping Template: Select this option to re-use a previously saved mapping configuration from a previous import. If you do not have a existing mapping template, you can save the current mapping as a template.
- Set one or more fields as sync key. The sync key must be a unique value, such an Email. The sync key you assign is important, as it is what is used to detect new and existing people records.
- Click Validate.
- If there are any import errors, you will receive a Blockers or Warnings error on import. Click Show Details to review the validation log and identify import errors, such as a missing mandatory field. To proceed with the import, fix the error(s) identified in the spreadsheet and start the import process again.
- When the validation is complete, click Import.
The records are shown on the People page. You can review your import in the Import Manager by selecting Import on the People page.