In addition to integrating your systems with Oomnitza, you can update and create new records in Oomnitza through spreadsheet imports.
Before you start
- Create a .CSV / .XLS / .XLSX file or a Google Sheets document.
- Add a column heading to the first row that includes the mandatory fields required to create or update a record in each column. For example, for an Asset, you might need to supply the Asset Name and Serial Number. The mandatory fields will depend on how you have customized your Oomnitza instance.
- Insert a row for every record and populate the values under the column heading.
Importing the data
- Select one of the modules in the Oomnitza portal menu depending on the record you are going to update: Assets, Contracts, People or Locations.
- Click Import to open the Import feature screen. The Import feature screen consists of two main sections: Import (which is described in this article) and Import Manager (learn more about Import Manager).
- Select a file upload. Depending on which option you choose, you should pick a file to upload or provide a link to a Google Sheet document. The system will check if the file type or Google Sheet link is valid.
- Select your import preference:
- Create. Creates new records. Existing records identified in the spreadsheet are ignored.
- Update. Updates existing records. New records identified in the spreadsheet are ignored.
- Update and Create. Updates existing records and creates new records.
- Under the Advanced section you can:
- Restore archived records. Restores archived records identified on import.
- Change a Time zone (UTC offset) and Location. This information is used by the Import Manager to display the correct date and time of the start and completion of the import run for all users.
- Add Tags to your import to find it quicker in the Import Manager later.
- Choose to receive an email notification about the completion of the import run.
- Click Continue.
Configuring the mapping
- On the mapping page you will see two columns. The left column displays the names of the spreadsheet columns. The right column displays the record fields in Oomnitza. Create connections between items from these columns in one of the following ways:
- Smart Mapping: Click Smart mapping to find attributes with identical names and create appropriate connections.
- Manual Mapping: Click the down arrow next to a field on the left column and select the target field from the dropdown list.
- Mapping Template: Use a previously saved mapping configuration. If you do not have a existing mapping template, you can save the current mapping as a template for use on the next import.
- Assign a sync key. Only attributes with unique values can be used as a sync key. The sync key you assign is important, as it is what is used to detect new and existing records.
- Click Validate.
- If there are any import errors, you will receive a Blockers or Warnings error on import. Click Show Details to review the validation log and identify import errors, such as a missing mandatory field. To proceed with the import, fix the error(s) identified in the spreadsheet and start the import process again.
- Once the validation is complete, click Import.
The records are shown on the module page. You can review your import in the Import Manager by selecting Import on the module page.