Use the Apple Model block to update Mac Model names based on an asset’s Serial Number. This can be useful when Casper or Agents are pulling in Model Identifiers (MacbookPro 11,4) instead of Model Names (MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)).
Important: Use the Apple Model Block for pre-2021 models only
The Apple Model block exclusively retrieves model names for devices released prior to 2021. If you attempt to retrieve model information for devices released after 2021, you may encounter the following error message: Error looking up Model: Invalid Serial Number
You should have a number of asset records on the Asset page in Oomnitza with the Apple Serial Number populated.
Creating the workflow
This block is only available when you create an Assets workflow.
To create an Apple Model block, complete the following steps:
- Click Configuration > Workflows and click Add (+).
- Select Assets from the list.
- Enter the name and a description of the workflow.
Edit the Begin block. Add rules that will trigger the workflow. In the example below, the Begin block is set to trigger once a new asset object is created that has a Serial Number.
At times, this workflow may need to be used for existing assets. When that is the case, please make sure it runs for the desired asset, for example:
- Changing the Actions to Schedule so it only runs at a specific time.
- Changing the Rule criteria for Serial Number has been changed.
This narrows the criteria ensuring that your workflow is more efficient and specifically targets the asset objects that need to be updated.
- Click the Blocks tab, and drag and drop the Apple block onto the canvas.
- Click the Edit icon.
- Select the Apple Serial # Field from the list. This Serial Number should already be populated in an Oomnitza asset.
- Select the corresponding Model field that you would like to be automatically updated once the workflow runs.
Running the workflow
- Click Save and connect the blocks
- Validate the workflow and Activate, so that the workflow is now live in your system.
Go to the assets page and open an asset record. The Apple Model is populated based on the Serial Number that has been supplied.