Let Oomnitza be your single source of truth!
You'll get complete visibility of your users as data from Intercom is automatically transformed into consumable information and actionable insights.
Connect Oomnitza and Intercom in minutes
Get the information and insights that you need to reduce costs and the time that you spend on administration tasks such as:
- Configurable dashboards and list views of key user information
- Configurable reports to share information about users with your colleagues and management
Configurable workflows that you can easily create for:
- Retrieving SaaS user roles
- Offboarding users
Before you start
For the integration with Oomnitza, create a dedicated user account.
To stream Intercom user data into Oomnitza, you must add your API connection credentials to the Oomnitza vault.
Intercom provides customers with an access token when they create an app in their workspace. To find your access token, go to the Configure> Authentication section in your app in the Developer Hub.
Add credentials to the vault in Oomnitza
To authorize connections between Oomnitza and Intercom, complete these steps:
- In Oomnitza, click Configuration > Security > Credentials.
- Click Add new credential (+).
- Search for the integration, and then click the forward button > to select the integration.
- Add your API key.
- Click Create.
Integration not in the list? Click Advanced Mode and complete these steps:
- Add the information details.
- Click the AUTHORIZATION tab.
- Ensure that API Key is selected as the Authorization type.
- Ensure that the Token Name is Authorization
- Enter Bearer, press the space bar, and enter the value of your API key.
- Ensure that Add to Header is selected.
- Click CREATE.
You use the credentials that you added to create and customize your integration with Oomnitza.
Create the user integration
Info and connect details
- In Oomnitza, click Configuration>Integrations>Overview.
- Click Block view
- On the Integrations page, scroll down to the Extended section for user integrations.
- Click NEW INTEGRATION.
- Search for the integration in the sidebar or use the Search.
- Click ADD.
Before you start
More information is provided about the following fields to help you complete the integration:
Integration preferences: By default, the option Create & Update is selected, which allows for editing existing user records and adding new ones. If your goal is only to edit existing user records, choose Update Only. On the other hand, if you only want to add new records, select Create Only.
User selection: Select User only to create users in the People tab. Select User plus SaaS User to also create SaaS users in the Software > SaaS menu. Once your users are created in the SaaS menu, you can create SaaS user workflows to validate the existence of a given user in a SaaS System and to pull role information from your SaaS System. For steps see Creating SaaS user workflows.
When you select User plus SaaS User and you have multiple instances of the same SaaS, you can choose your SaaS instance from the dropdown. If you have a single instance of the SaaS, your instance is already detected by the system.
To review or update the integrations details, click the pencil:
- Update the integration name if necessary.
- From the User Selection list, select an option.
- For installation type, ensure that Cloud is selected.
- For integration preferences, select an option.
- Enter the name of the integration user.
Choose one of the following options:
- Select the credentials that were created for the integration.
- Edit the credentials that were created for the integration.
- Create new credentials
By default, user data is streamed to Oomnitza once every day.
You can configure the schedule to meet your needs such as changing the interval or changing the time so that the data is streamed when your system isn't busy.
- Click the pencil.
- Configure your schedule.
- Click Update.
To map the fields to Oomnitza, click the pencil.
Creating custom mappings
Map the Intercom fields to Oomnitza fields and create custom mappings to get the user information that you need.
Complete these actions:
- Click SMART MAPPINGS.
- Create a custom mapping for the Intercom User ID. Complete the following steps:
- Click the down arrow on the ID field.
- Select Add new Oomnitza users field.
- Change the name of the field to User External ID.
- Click CREATE.
- Assign an Oomnitza role to the users such as Employee.
- Assign a sync key to one of the fields such as the Email field.
- Click UPDATE.
Custom Intercom to Oomnitza mappings
The following Intercom fields can be mapped to Oomnitza:
- Connector Sync Time
- Created at Timestamp
- Last seen at Timestamp
- User's role
- User type
Did you know?
You can define rules for your integration by selecting Edit integration on the mapping page. For example, you may only want to run the integration if a certain contact or region exists. See Filtering integration results.
You can add new fields to your integration by selecting Add new field on the mapping page. All you need to do is specify the property name. See Creating custom API fields.
Launching the integration
Your integration is in Draft mode until all the required mandatory fields are added. Once you have added all of the required fields, we recommend that you complete the following steps
- Select Launch to activate your integration
- Do a Test Run.
- Click Sync Sessions and review the status of the integration. If you encounter any errors, see troubleshooting integrations.
- When the test run has been completed, click Run Now.
Getting your results
To view the information that is collected about your assets, click Assets. To view the information about software, click the Software tab.
To view the information that is collected about your users, click People. If you selected User plus SaaS User when running the user integration, you can also find a list of users in the Software > SaaS menu
SaaS user role
The Intercom SaaS user role information uses the Contacts API to return Intercom role information. The role of the contact can either be
lead. See Intercom API Documentation: Contacts API.
Before you create a SaaS user workflow, you should have already run your extended user integration and selected User plus SaaS User to populate the software entry in the Software > SaaS menu.
Creating the SaaS user workflow
- Click Configuration > Workflows > SaaS Users.
- Click Add (+).
- Enter the name of the workflow.
Editing the begin block
The begin block is the workflow’s trigger.
- Click Edit.
- Enter the name of the begin block.
- Configure the schedule so that the user information is streamed to Oomnitza when your system is least busy.
- Select run for Active records.
- Click Add Rule and add this rule: SaaS name = Intercom.
- Click Save.
Learn more about the Begin block
Editing the SaaS User Role block
- Drag and drop the SaaS User Role retrieval block onto the Sandbox, and then click Edit.
- Search for your SaaS integration, such as Intercom, and click the arrow (>).
- Supply the required information including your Credentials.
- By default, the Deactivate User checkbox is selected. This means that if the users listed in SaaS > Intercom > Users do not exist in your SaaS application, they will be deactivated once the workflow is run.
Connecting the blocks
To complete the workflow, you connect the blocks.
- Link the boxes as shown in the diagram.
- Click Save, Validate, and Launch.
Depending on the schedule that you configured in the Begin block, the SaaS user role information is streamed to Oomnitza and presented in the SaaS > Intercom > Users tab.
Delete & Deactivate users
You can add the API block to a workflow to delete and deactivate users in Intercom.
Add the API block for Intercom
- Click Configuration > Workflows > SaaS Users.
- To add a new workflow, click +.
- Enter the name of the workflow and a description.
Edit the Begin block by adding the rules that will trigger the workflow. Make sure the following sections are populated:
- Actions: Set the actions to schedule to have it run at a fixed time. Alternatively, you can trigger your workflow to run when a record has been created (Assign User) or deactivated in the SaaS user list (Deactivate user).
- Rule criteria: Set a rule to trigger the workflow. For example, you could create a rule to delete a user with the last login date of greater than one year.
- Drag and drop the API block in the sandbox.
- Click Edit, and enter Intercom as the search criteria.
- Select a preset from the list below. To choose a preset, click the forward arrow (>).
- Intercom Delete User
- Intercom Deactivate User
- Select the credentials that you created for Intercom.
- Click SAVE.
Link the blocks together and validate, launch, and save the workflow.
When the workflow is run, the user is deleted or deactivated in Intercom.
Unleash the power of Oomnitza
To get valuable actionable insights that help you manage your assets, learn how to:
- Configure dashboards for your users and software
- Configure custom reports about your users and software
- Create workflows to automate tasks
Please sign in to leave a comment.